This caramel flan recipe made us all jump with joy when we were kids. If you want to organize a cooking day with your children, this easy dessert recipe is a good choice.
It is delicious, nutritious, and not unreasonably sweet. And the final result will certainly make the little ones very happy.
Well, at least it made us all happy — the irresistible caramel, the sense of accomplishment we had when we, the children, unmolded the flan… I reckon it’ll be the same for your kids now too.
In the picture above you can see the traditional shape of a traditional Catalan flam. Never mind if you don’t have such flan pans, you can easily adapt to whatever molds you have. After all, the taste is much more important than the shape. Another option is to use one large flan pan if you like.
Flan Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups or 1/2 l milk
- 4 eggs —beaten
- 7 tablespoons or 100 g sugar
- 5 tablespoons or 75 g sugar for the syrup
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 1/4 of the peel of a lemon
Baked Flan Recipe Instructions
- Bring the milk, 7 tablespoons of sugar, the stick of cinnamon, and the lemon peel to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes over low heat stirring often. Afterward, allow cooling to room temperature.
- In the meantime, beat the eggs.
- Discard the cinnamon and the lemon peel. Sift the milk and add the beaten eggs to the cooled milk. Mix well.
- While the milk is cooling, prepare the burnt-sugar syrup, which is essential for the success of this flan recipe. Add 5 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of water to a saucepan. Cook it over medium-low heat for a few minutes until it turns a golden-brownish color. As soon as it is ready, immediately coat the bottoms of the single-serving flan pans or the large flan mold with the caramelized sugar.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flan pans. Put the molds in another pan with some water. Bake in a bain-marie in the oven for an hour at 360 ºF or 180 ºC.
- To know if the flan is done, prick it with a fine knitting needle. If the needle comes out clean, the flan is done.
- Allow to cool. Unmold the flan. Serve cold or cool.
You can eat this flan by itself or you can accompany it with vanilla ice cream or even cream.
Above we mentioned how kids love this baked flan recipe, but don’t think that this dessert is only for children or you’ll miss out on a delicious dessert — Catalan flam is for everyone!