Baba Ghanoush is a vegetable dip very popular in the Arabic Middle East and other Mediterranean countries. The slightly smokey flavor from the roasted eggplants makes this eggplant dip irresistible.
Apart from being mouthwatering, this typical Mediterranean diet recipe is healthy and easy. In the Mediterranean cuisines, often the simplest dishes are the ones that bring the most genuine flavors of the aromatic Mediterranean landscape to your table.
Serves 4 as appetizer
- 4 large whole eggplants
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice – freshly pressed is best
- 4 heaped tablespoons tahini or sesame paste
- 3 cloves peeled garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 sprig Italian parsley as garnish
How to Make Baba Ganoush
Cooking time: 45 minutes.
Preparation time: about 15 minutes.
- The first thing to remember is neither to peel the eggplant not to chop its stem.
- Pierce each side of the eggplants with a fork. Place the whole eggplants in the oven and roast them for about 45 minutes turning them over 2 or 3 times.
- The eggplants are done when the outer shell is blackened or charred, and the inside is soft.
- If you use a food processor, be careful not to liquidize the eggplant pulp.
Serve this vegetable eggplant dip…
- As an appetizer with pita bread cut into wedges.
- As a healthy vegetable dip with pita bread, flat bread or a baguette. After all, real bread is indispensable in the Mediterranean diet.
- In a brunch, mezza or cocktail dip.
A Mediterranean Food Recipe by Many Names
This Eastern Mediterranean eggplant dip changes names and presents slight variations. Whether it’s called baba ganoush, baba ghanoush baba ghannouj, moutabal, or eggplant mousse, all variations that respect the essence of this babaganoush eggplant dip are a real appetizer treat.
We have eaten Palestinian, Lebanese, Greek, even Ukrainian versions. They are all authentic and delicious. Depending on their heritage, some cooks add iogurt, others indulge in olive oil, and others leave the tahini out completely. All variations of this baba ganoush recipe show the splendid diversity of the shared Mediterranean diet home.
Do you know of a different way to eat or combine this eggplant recipe? Share your ideas with all of us in the comments below and enjoy!